Topic 7: Describe a happy person who you know
You should say:
Happiness is hard to define and so does the happiest man. Sometimes the people we think are very happy confess that they have great sufferings and sorrows in their lives. However, if we spend a great deal of time with someone and if we can observe him/ her closely, then we can make a very good assumption of his characteristics and his ideas.
I would pick my friend …………to be the happiest person I have ever met or seen. He is my friend from the early childhood and in my opinion he knows the value of being happy and no matter what happens, he is contented and that makes him happy.
I first met him in my high school and we both of us used to do debate together. Thus the closeness and friendship grew between us and later on our friendship grew even further when we got admitted in the same university.
He has a positive attitude and he is very contented with whatever he has. That’s attitude and positive thinking makes him happy. He does not woe for thinks undone or bad things that happened to him. I heard him saying that life is hard and you can be happy if you are happy in your mind. That’s something I agree and I have found him to be happy in his mind even from the worst experience.
He always smiles and never regret for the things undone like others. He feels that happiness is inside us and our positive attitude can make us happy. He has a positive attitude of removing the negativity of life. He loves to enjoy the fuller possibility of life and he has a charismatic character to make his friends happy.
For the positive and satisfied mentality he possesses and the happy behaviors he shows always make me consider him to be the happiest person I have ever known.
The Meaning and Nature of 'Happiness'
- What do you understand to be the meaning of the word, "happiness"?
- Do you think there are any differences between "short-term happiness" and "long-term happiness"?
- Would you say you are a happy person (at the moment)?
- Would you say people are happier today than people in the past (e.g., 20-30 years ago)?
- What causes people to feel happy?
- Do you think it's important to be happy?
- Do you think a person's living environment can affect their level of happiness?
- How does the level of happiness of people affect society (as a whole)?
- What causes unhappiness?
- Do you think it's easy for unhappy people to change and become happy?
- (Similar to above) When someone is unhappy, do you think it's easy for them to change and become happy?
- How can a person be happy?
- Do you think the government could (or, should) play a role in promoting the happiness of people?
- (If yes to the above question) What policies would you suggest the government adopt to make people happier?
- Do you think people will be happier in the future?
Happiness and Income Levels
- Do you think people's happiness is related to their standard of living?
- (Similar to above) To what extent do you think people's happiness is related to their levels of income (or, related to how much money they have)?
- Do you think people's happiness increases as their income increases?
- Which do you think is more important for producing happiness, money (or material things) or something spiritual?
- How can people's happiness be increased?
Happiness and Age Differences
- Do you think the same things make children happy as make adults happy?
- Do children and adults express their happiness in the same ways?
- Do you think people become happier as they become older?