Topic 3: Describe a toy that you loved playing with as a child.
You should say:
I remember having many toys in my childhood and in different stages of my childhood I preferred different toys. But among them the digital art board was a very special one to me and I played with this special toy for more than 3-4 years as I recall.
This was a gift from my father on occasion of my 5th or 6th birthday. It looked like a white board which was approximately 14x10 inch in dimension. The screen was white and there were 5-6 buttons to operate the digital art board. A digital pen or stylus type pen was attached to it for painting. This stylus could be placed at the right side of the board. The board was similar to a middle size notebook and was light weight.
I had a fascination about the toy when I first saw it at a superstore. I asked the salesman what the price was and how this can be used. He described that I can draw picture in this board, edit them, save them and reopen the saved pictures anytime I like. There was a built-in memory and the user can store up to 10 thousand drawing. The colour and pen tool makes the painting easy. He also told that there are some premade design and template that would help the user to draw a picture. He then added, though this would cost a bit high but it is the digital version of the painting brush, canvas and colours. At that time I was around 5-6 years old and the toy really mesmerized me. I had a hidden desire to own it one day. I dreamed to art and save so many arts and painting and save them for long. Since I had passion on painting, I thought the toy would be a perfect one for me. I told my father about my fascination of this toy and few days later he gave this toy as my birthday gift. I was so happy to have it.
This toy was important to me because I have longed for it and that was a special gift from my father. I remember playing with it till I was 10-11 years old and I have painted lots of things on it. As a kid that was a fascinating and exciting toy for me.
- What toys are popular with kids in Vietnam today?
- Compare the toys that kids have today with the toys that kids had 20 or 30 years ago.
- In general, do children today have many toys?
- Do you think that's good for children?
- Some people think that children today have too many toys. What do you think?
- (Similar to above) Do you think children today have too many toys?
- Sometimes you see the children in different kinds of families have different kinds of toys. Can you think of any examples of this? (Hints: rich & poor / well-educated & poorly educated)
- Do children in the countryside play with the same kinds of toys as children in the cities?
- What do you think of giving expensive toys to children?
- Do you think what children see on television affects their choice of toys?
- Do you think playing with electronic toys has a good influence on kids?
- Do electronic toys have any disadvantages? (Hint: battery)
Domestic & Foreign Toys
- Which toys do most people prefer to buy, imported toys or domestically made toys? (Why?)
- How do you think toys in Vietnam compare with toys in other countries?
Boys' and Girls' Toys
- Do you think boys enjoy playing with toys more than girls?
- Do boys and girls play with the same kinds of toys?
- Why do you think boys and girls play with different toys?
- What are some differences between boys' toys and girls' toys?
- Do you think it's important for parents to only give girls toys such as dolls and only give boys toys such as cars?
- Do you think there are some toys that are only suitable for girls and some that are only suitable for boys?
- (Similar to above) Do you think toys should be labeled as "boys' toys" and "girls' toys" ?
- Which do you think is better, for children to play with toys alone or with other kids?
- Do you think it's important for children to share their toys with other kids when they are playing together?
- Do you think parents should encourage their children to share their toys with other kids?
- Do you think parents should make (= force = compel) their children to share their toys with other kids?
- (The following question was not reported as in the test but it is useful to think about) Do you think young children are by nature selfish and need to be taught to share things, or do you think young children are, by nature no more selfish than the average adult?
- How do children benefit by sharing their toys with other kids?
- Are there any possible downsides to a child sharing his or her toys?
- Why do you think some kids dislike sharing their toys?
- Why do you think children usually have some toys that are their favourite toys?
- (Similar to above) Why do you think kids sometimes become attached to one particular toy?
- (Similar to above) Why do children like some toys much more than other toys?
The Benefits of Playing with Toys
- Why do (you think) children like playing with toys?
- Do you think children really need to have toys?
- How does playing with toys affect children?
- Do you think it's good for kid to play with toys?
- (Similar to above) How do you think playing with toys helps the development of children?
- Which do you think is better for children, simple toys or complex toys?
- Do you think modern toys have more educational qualities than toys had before?
- Do you think playing with toys helps children's brains to develop? (If yes, how?)
- Do you think parents should especially try to choose educational toys for their children?
- In your opinion, are there any toys that can have a negative effects on children?
- Do adults ever have toys?
- (Similar to above) Do adults also play with toys?
- Why do (you think) some adults enjoy playing with toys and others don't?
- Compare the advantages and (possible) disadvantages of children playing alone and children playing with other children.
- Do you think it would be good if modern computer games replaced toys?
- What are some of the effects on children from playing games?
- Do you think the games children play today are less creative and imaginative than games before, or more creative and imaginative?